Who am i?


I woke up at 6am and I felt empty. Suddenly, it wasn't a good day for me. I don't know what it is but sometimes I just wake up and feel moody.

The struggle of waking up each day to go out on the streets to look for a job is daunting. The constant rejections from companies/agencies do get to me but I have to keep reminding myself that, "it's part of life. We have to struggle before we make it". Yes, we have to remind ourselves of surviving in this world but somehow, the survival does come with a price.

After saying my prayers, I walked over to the window in my room and looked outside. "What kind of weather is this? Are we being punished by the universe"? I asked myself.

It's autumn now and we are getting closer to the Dry Season or as we call it, "Harmattan". No breeze outside and nowadays I tend to sleep with only a wrapper tied on my body.

The fan is turned on very high but that doesn't stop Mosquitoes from having a party around my ears, constantly thanking me for offering my body as a sacrifice for their survival. No amount of swapping and slaps inflicted on me by Myself can stop them. *sigh* I often wonder if Noah also took the male and female Mosquito into the ark or they were created after the flood. Well, we will never know.

I went back to bed and sat on it, took my phone and began my daily routine of checking Instagram and moving on to Twitter to see what's happening.

"Niaaaaaa"

"Ma"

"You no go stand up? Every time you wake up it is phone, phone, phone. Have you prayed this morning?"

"Yes, I..."

"How many times will I tell you that Phone does not clean the house for you? Phone does not set food on the table. Phone does not..."

"Mummy, I will do it", I replied her before she chips in another sentence.

Mummy went out of the room but left my door ajar. What is it with Nigerian parents and not knocking? They just walk in like they own the room. I mean, yes, it's their house but...you get what I mean don't you?

"Don't let me come back there to see you sitting on that bed, playing with your phone", She said
I rolled my eyes till they were about to pop out of their sockets. When will my mum understand that I have passed the age of being talked to like that? I won't do this to my kids. They are going to enjoy me. Well, they might get a little rant from time to time like my mum does me. I mean, I am going through it at 27 years of age. Oh screw it, they must get the full dose of it. Ha!

I went about my chores and had to get them done fast because I had an aptitude test by 9am for a Job.
Had a shower, got dressed and I was ready at 8am, to go out.

"Have you taken all the necessary items?" Mum asked

"Yes ma"

"Calculator nko?"

"Here", I took it out of my bag to show her.

I started heading out with mum behind, praying for me.

"Go with God. Don't be nervous. I know you can do it".

"Amen!"

I said my goodbyes and I was off.

It took me 10minutes to get to the bus stop as I waited to board a bus to CMS. The bus arrived.

"CMS, CMS, enter with your change", the conductor announced.

The bus hadn't stopped and I was running towards where it was going to park for people to get in. There were a lot of us running to catch the bus and just two seats left on the bus. I didn't care if an old man was by my side, my dream job was at stake here and I have to be at the venue to take the test early. I got on the bus.

Luckily, I arrived at the venue on time and saw a lot of unemployed youths like me seated. There were no seats left for some and they resorted to standing. I joined them.

Two girls came over to where I was, joking about the Interviews they went for and didn't pass. Their experiences were funny and sad but I could relate to it.

"How long have you been applying for jobs?" One of them asked me. I was a little taken aback. I believe she asked me that question because I kept chuckling and hiding my giggles while she joked around with her friend.

"Not too long. Just a year". I replied

"Ah, that's long o. I am still serving but I will be done by November". She said.

"This must be your first time applying for a job then?" I asked.

"No No. It's my second application. I started last month"

"Ah, that's good then. You get to experience what it's like and who knows, you might be lucky to get one"

"I pray so o. My name is Sade", she said as she smiled at me.

"I am Naomi. You can call me Nia if you like" I replied with a smile.

"Nia? She asked with a puzzled look as she wondered how it correlated with Naomi.
I laughed.

"My 2 year old cousin couldn't pronounce my name well. Since then, the name stuck. Both families and friends call me Nia. It is a nickname I have grown accustomed to".

"Ah!".

I joined in their conversation. We went on and on, talking about life, and school. We also exchanged numbers. Our laughter caused people to look at us but we didn't care. At that moment, I was grateful to have met her. I was nervous when I got to the venue and now, I am not.

At that moment, I felt really good. I might have woken up moody but now, all will be well.

Sade asked me about some mathematical questions and I excitedly taught her and explained to her. I gave her some tricks on how to solve some questions. Sade was busy learning and writing while I was explaining.

The time for the test arrived and Sade said we should sit together. I agreed. The questions won't be the same but I had a friend to sit down with.

We followed all necessary protocol before we started our online Aptitude test.

The first question showed up and my brain just went blank. I didn't know what to do next or where to start from. Sade was happily solving hers away. I became frustrated. Maybe my day is supposed to be negative.

I began to tick any option I deemed fit for the question. I felt dumb.

Sade pointed out answers to two of my questions.

"I know that is the right answer, I'm only revising my work", I lied while whispering.
Sade nodded but I'm sure she didn't believe me. I wouldn't believe me either.

The test was over, I failed and all I wanted to do was get out of the organization and go back home to my room, lay on my bed and sleep away my sadness and frustration.
I waited for Sade outside the test hall because that's what friends do or so I thought.

She came out all smiley.

"How was your test?" She asked.

"It was ok". I replied, smiling. Of course, it wasn't ok. You can't expect me to say I wasn't feeling too good about it. My reputation was on the line. I taught this girl earlier, before the test. I acted like a know-it-all and she, like an obedient student.

"I think you aren't very good in solving mathematics. I felt like you didn't know what you were given". She said

How dare her? I mean...she is right but you don't just open your mouth to say that to someone who didn't do well at all. Who is this girl to speak to me the way she did?
"Me? Hahaha... I am very good when it comes to solving math questions. I think this job is not for me. I can feel it". I lied while smiling through my teeth.

I was speechless, enraged but I kept smiling all through. I pretended to take a phone call and then whispered to her that I had somewhere I had to be.

I walked out of the organization, with my head up high as I made my way home.
Where did I go wrong? Is the Universe against me today?

Who am I?

My name is Naomi Oke and I am still unemployed.

Comments

  1. In life, we always face difficulties from various angles. Knowing how to stay POSITIVE and never giving up is the best way to succeed and overcome any difficulty. One day, we shall all look back and see the struggles we all faced, but we would ultimately thank God for giving us life and hope to become Great. A great piece🙏🏽🙌🏽

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting,,hopemyoumfinally got a job

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts